By Jana Badenhorst
Serves 10-12 people.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1x 19 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1-2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and diced (or 1 can of diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)5
- 3x 32 oz cartons vegetable broth
- Wash and sort the peas, put in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil in the chicken broth.
- Remove peas from the heat and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer until the peas are very tender (about 2 hours), adding more water if needed.
- Remove the ham hock, peel off and discard the skin, and shred the meat into small pieces.
Return shredded ham to the soup.
- Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For a thick, smoother texture, purée using a stick immersion blender (or a potato masher).
- Serve hot.